Lafayette Indiana History
Lafayette, Indiana, could boast of being the fourth largest city in the state, but it was founded in the early 19th century and was the birthplace of many of India's most important and influential figures, from the founding of Indiana State University to the founding of a state university. Although Lafayette was a small village at the time, it had a population of about 2,000, and the Wabash-Erie Canal reached Lafayette in 1841, contributing to its growth as a river foothill. Lafayette earned the title "Star City of West" because early historians invariably described a thriving river community.
A few miles north of the city, the county was named after the Battle of Tippecanoe on November 7, 1811, fought between the US and French armies by General Lafayette. The battlefield is now a national monument and a national historic landmark. A French officer who fought in the American Revolution and actually turned into a dictatorship in his homeland, was crowned and named in 1825. American settlement and began as a fortress that became a trading post, with a population of about 1,000 people at its peak.
French soldiers, who greatly supported George Washington's Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War, named Lafayette many border towns after them. In 1811, the French government built Fort Ouiatenon, a few miles north of Lafayette, on the west side of the Mississippi River, near the present-day town of Tippecanoe. French officers who greatly assisted George Washington's Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War.
In 1811, the French government built Fort Ouiatenon, a few miles north of Lafayette, on the west side of the Mississippi River, near the present-day town of Tippecanoe. In 1812, it was founded as a military base for the Continental Army of the US Revolutionary War and later as an operations base at Fort Lafayette.
State Road Rd 52 crosses the river on the north side of West Lafayette, and the south and north are just a few miles north and south of Fort Ouiatenon respectively.
There is a free trolley bus that runs from downtown Lafayette to West Lafayette, Purdue and back, and there is a car from West Purdue to Lafayette for a visit. On November 7, 1836, 16 hectares were dedicated to the state of Indiana as a monument and the land where the battle took place was clad in May 1825. Named after the Battle of Fort Ouiatenon, one of the most important battles of the American Civil War, it was bought and gilded in 1826 for $1,000.
The National Center for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (NCNA) has a history dating back to the late 20th century. Founded by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBTA) community members and their allies, NCNA is one of the most active organizations in the LGBT community in West Lafayette and has maintained a strong commitment to shaping the future of West Purdue and Lafayette. The commitment of LgbTA members to being what they are has led to increased community organization, and has raised more than $2,000 in elephant purchases to support animal rights and welfare issues.
In 1868, the church began building a mission building at Chuauncey and Columbia Streets in West Lafayette and sent about 40 members to found Chauncesy Baptist Church in 1870. Their vision became a reality on December 26, 1905, when Lafayette Life was founded as a joint venture based in Lafayette, Indiana. In 1965, the Lafayette Instrument Company moved to its current location at the corner of West Purdue and Lafayette. Killer Beans Coffee now has a brick and mortar store on the former site of Lafayette Instruments' headquarters on South Lafayette Street.
In the 1920s, there were nearly a hundred roadside thirst quenchers in the US and Canada, but only two remain: one in West Lafayette and the other in Lafayette.
Located in historic downtown Lafayette's Main Street, this shop and restaurant is perfect for checking your calendar for Purdue University activities. Visit Visit Lafayette and West Lafayette to learn about some of the incredibly fun things you can do in Lafayette, Indiana.
Lafayette Urban Ministry was officially established as Indiana Not-for-Profit Corporation on October 16, 1972 as Indiana Not for Profit Corporation. In 1964, the Lafayette Federated Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was dedicated to the construction of a new church building in Lafayette, Indiana.
In 1845, Ellsworth bought 93,000 acres of farmland in Lafayette and moved from Connecticut to oversee the land sale. It was then in what is now the Village and was one of the largest estates in the United States at the time. In 1843, at the age of 23, he purchased a property in West Lafayette, Indiana, about 30 miles south of Lafayette. In 1845, he moved here from Hartford, Connecticut, to oversee the land sale and bought about 93,000 acres (about 1.5 million acres) of land.